The centre of Saludecio, surrounded by gentle hills stretching down to the sea, alternates refined and important sacred buildings with simple houses in the village.
Due to the conflict with the Montefeltros, this village was not only a defensive possession for the Malatestas from 1200 onwards for the next three centuries, but also a productive area. The Malatesta Fortress and its walls still characterize the historic centre, fully revealing its medieval structure with a maze of narrow alleys enclosed by the walls and two monumental defensive gates one towards the sea and the other towards the hinterland.
In 1462 Federico da Montefeltro occupied Saludecio tearing it away from Sigismondo Malatesta and entrusting it to the Church. For this reason the village maintained a leading role with powerful families who built palaces and prestigious churches and hosted intellectuals and artists of great fame: Guido Cagnacci’s activity on-site witnesses to his works of inestimable value.
Not a secondary role in the city life was that of the Blessed Amato Ronconi, who lived there in the thirteenth century and was object of devotion for the faithful during the following centuries. A Shrine and Museum are dedicated to his memory.
Here in August the “800 Festival” is held. A scenographic pathway unfolds along courtyards and churches, alleys and hidden squares, re-proposing and evoking a nineteenth century atmosphere in its most characteristic cultural and bourgeois tradition and its most popular and spontaneous expression. Saludecio has become classified as one of the “Cities of painted walls” thanks to the painting of murals on the walls of houses during the Festival.